Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Day 2: Soil Samples and Paleontology Hall Installations

I had the second day of my internship at HMNS on September 20, 2013.

I started out with soil samples, which was where I left off last time. This time I had a little more of an idea of what I was looking for. Basically bone is shiny, so if you see something shiny it's most likely bone. You can also look for odd textures that you wouldn't expect to find on rocks. So far the two things I've found with odd texture are pieces of shark cartilage and parts of amphibian skull. Digging through the soil this Friday I found quite a few bone fragments and pieces of shark cartilage. I also found three tiny reptile/amphibian teeth, a piece of amphibian skull, and half of a Demetradon tooth (they are in this order in the pictures).

After this we had a change of plans so we went over to the Paleontology Hall and helped install two fossils. One was a feline fossil that kept loosing its ribs and the other was a male Goffer Tortise shell.

No comments:

Post a Comment