Saturday, March 14, 2015

Moving Day

     I only went to the museum for one day this week for 2 hours and 45 minutes, but it was a very productive day. I started out by carrying out the same cleaning routine as last week, but it quickly became a moving day. First of all I found out that the 4th floor of the museum is being cleaned out. Up until this point we had a few larger jackets and quite a few buckets of matrix and plaster stored up there. For roughly the first half of my time at the museum I helped David load up the cart a couple times and move the majority of the items down to the lab. The second part of this was to clean off some shelves and more thoroughly pack others so we could fit everything. It's amazing how much stuff is in the lab. It's funny because when I used to think of a lab I would think of a clean, sterile environment, but not anymore. There are definitely some labs that are like this, and have to be, but in a paleo lab there's just so much dirt. This is because when we clean bones we're cleaning dirt off of them. And when we were moving things in we moved in quite a few buckets of dirt, matrix. 
     After everything was moved in I got to help de-install two fossil mounts. The reason that they were being removed and put into storage is so that the wall they were sitting on can be knocked down and cases that are lower down can be made for them. This will make it easier for people to view them, being that they are pretty cool specimens. You can see pictures of them on the carts below. 








No comments:

Post a Comment