Monday, September 7, 2015

Removing Bones

     Last week I spent three hours and forty five minutes in the lab. During this time I got out the big Jane jacket and decided to go back to working on it. I'd been meaning to ask David about photographing the upper bones so I could remove them, and he was there so I was able to do that. I took the photographs myself, using the jacket tag for scale, and was finally able to remove some of the bones. Typically we try to leave as many bones in the jacket in place as possible until we're completely done cleaning, but in this jacket there was a line of bones on top of more bones. Because of this I had to clean the upper bones and then remove them to get to the bones underneath. I did this by wrapping them in tinfoil the same way they were situated in the jacket, and lightly vinacing together any pieces that I could tell fit together. I was very excited to get these bones out and to continue removing dirt underneath them. Now it's just a matter of time until I can see all of the bones in the jacket, which is very exciting!







No comments:

Post a Comment