Sunday, October 5, 2014

Jane Jacket #2

On day 1 I spent the day cleaning the large Jane jacket. This was basically the same as what I did last week. I was proud of myself for removing quite a bit of the dirt so I can finally get closer to the bones on the left side of the jacket.

On day 2 I got to to work on my jacket again. But people also came down to the lab, so I got to help David talk to them about the work I'm doing. It's always really fun to be able to share what I've learned with other people. I feel really good knowing that I can help others to learn about how Earth was long before any humans ever inhabited it.  David also showed them a coprolite, or fossilized poop, that had been sliced in half. The 290+ million year old poop is actually really cool to look at because it shows what the animals ate. This goes one step further than simply looking at their bones. I looked at the coprolite and all the little pieces of bone it contained under the microscope and learned how to used the microscope at higher zoom magnitudes, because normally I don't zoom in while I'm working of cleaning a jacket under the microscope.









No comments:

Post a Comment