Sunday, October 12, 2014

The Air Scribe and a Friend

Last week I only got to one day. Part of my time was spent helping my friend Ian from school set up his internship with scientific illustration and teaching him about some of the animals from the time period that he'll be drawing. As always I fully enjoyed getting the opportunity to share my knowledge of Paleontology and the Permian period in Texas. I feel like teaching people about what I'm working on is a strength of mine and I wish I got to work out in the public eye more often.

After I helped set Ian up I got to work with the air scribe, which I hadn't done in quite a while. I got to work on removing heavier caliche than I'd ever worked with before, and it was fun to undertake that challenge. I had some trouble with the thin caliche and once my hand slipped a couple time I decided to just work on the medium to thick caliche. I think I'll ask Davis for some tips on cleaning thin caliche off with the air scribe next time I'm there, because I think I could use some work on that. I'm very glad I got to take a break from my Jane jackets and work with the air scribe; I hope to do this more in the future.


Before:



 After:



 The Start of Ian's Drawing:

No comments:

Post a Comment