Sunday, October 19, 2014

Spoil Bone

Last week I only got to go to my internship for an hour on day 1 and a little over an hour on day 2 so I decided to spend my time practicing cleaning cliche off of Spoil bones, bones found in the Spoil pile on the Craddock Ranch, with the air scribe. On day 1 I started cleaning a fragment of bone, and got one side cleaned. On day 2 I almost completely finished cleaning the other side.

I decided to work under the microscope with the air scribe. I had some trouble with this at first because I was having trouble focusing on the bone while I worked on it, but eventually I found out that if I raised the whole microscope a little more I could see the bone a lot better and keep it in focus while working on it. I showed David the half of the bone I had cleaned at the end of the day on Wednesday and he said I'd done a very good job cleaning it which made me feel good. I also feel like I'm getting more comfortable using the microscopes while cleaning bones.

Before:

After day 1:

 After day 2:




 Removed caliche:

No comments:

Post a Comment